It is a common exercises that primarily targets the quadriceps muscles, and the Calves, Hamstrings and Glutes as secondary targets. Lunges is a result oriented exercises which can be seen in almost no time as your toned legs, so is effective, and one should always include it in his/her leg workout day. Due to more than one muscle working at on time, it can be called a compound exercise. Though it is a good exercise for your legs, but don’t use it as basic exercise for leg muscles, rather Squats and Leg Press should only be your primary exercises for legs. For women Lunges has to be primary exercise, as it is easier than other exercises, for more defined and toned legs.
You should not compromise the correct form for heavy weights, else be ready to face muscle pulls and severe injuries which may keep you out of the gym. So emphasize on the correct form.
Lunges Correct Form:
- Stand with your torso upright and grab 2 dumbbells and place at your sides. This is the starting position for this exercise.
- Move your right foot forward and bend your knee so that your right thigh is parallel to the floor and left knee is almost touching the ground. The distance between left and right foot should be 2-3 feet.
- Use mainly the heel of your foot. Bend your knees properly and push up to come back to the starting position.
- Repeat the same movement with your left leg, alternatively.
- Do 3 to 4 sets with 10 to 12 repetitions in each set.
- Try Lunges variations for hit leg muscles from all angles.
- Start with light weights and increase grip on weights, then gradually add weights to the exercise for optimal results.
Lunges Muscles Used:
It works primarily on Quadriceps, Hamstring and Gluteus muscles.